Friday, October 19, 2012

Week 11-12: Reality TV (Isaac)

How does Hill define reality TV?



Hill discusses that the term of 'reality TV' has become so broad and flexible that it, "can be applied to any type of popular factual programming the industry wants to sell  to channels and viewers at home or abroad" (Hill, 2005). This is true, as reality TV has become an extremely popular genre, from American Idol, Master Chef, and Grand Designs, to Jersey Shore and Punk'd, all very different programs, yet all defined as the same genre. Thus broadcasters would want to ride of such a shows success, by associating their new show with it.

Hill goes on to say 'reality' TV' is a term that now is generally used to categorize programming as "cheap, tasteless, and compelling" (Hill, 2005). I personally agree with this. I don't know how many times I've heard the phrase "oh I don't really like reality TV", said with some disapproval. It is because of 'reality tv' becoming a general umbrella term that quality shows like Grand Designs, had become tarnished by shows of lesser value via association.



10 comments:

  1. That's a good point. It's interesting, the negativity associated with the term reality TV. But there is such a huge difference between shows like the Kardashians, and like you said, Grand Designs.

    My favourite show at the moment is My Kitchen Rules haha. I've never been a fan of cooking shows before, but something about this one got me. And I learn so much off it. Which I guess crosses over to watch documentaries do, teach us things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love My Kitchen Rules!! Hahah!! And i'm not really a fan of other cooking shows either.

      Delete
    2. Yea the label of "Reality TV" has been tarnished with the likes of "Jersey Shore" and other trashy shows like it. But in reality, (no pun intended) there are still some wholesome factual shows that exist. Animal Planet on Sky shows are number of animal based TV series. There is one called Animal Rescue where they save animal's lives.

      I guess American popular culture has kind of tarnished what "Reality TV" should be like. "Reality TV" in my opinion should be more factual and informative rather than creating "scripted-drama" like we see in Jersey Shore, The Hills and even on American Idol and X Factor sometimes when the judges argue etc.

      Delete
    3. Good point. I wonder, if shows such as Jersey Shore and Keeping Up With the Kardashians are scripted, is it actually reality tv? I feel like there should be another category for these shows because like you said the label of reality tv has been 'tarnished'.

      Delete
    4. Another label is such a good idea. Because they really are miles apart in what they offer the viewer. We should just invent one and see if people pick up on it hahah

      Delete
    5. @Kirsty

      Shows like Jersey Shore and The Kardashians are scripted. I read Hulk Hogan's autobiography and his own "reality show" called "Hogan's Knows Best" was scripted to a degree he said. He said the producers come up with a scenario for them for each episode and they film it. It's not as if they roll the cameras and film them living their lives normally.

      Delete
  2. I agree with you. I had kind a same feeling of negative perspective in recent reality show which is only focusing entertainment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel shows like on animal planet, and the informative ones are the ones that we can actually refer to as a 'document of their daily lives' because Jersey shore is obviously made for entertainment and is so fake. Surely a lot of people watch it just to see what its like and hopefully to laugh at them but were the producers wanting a percentage to actually take their lives seriously?? You have to wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Does anyone think that because of the wide range of Reality TV shows, that maybe it could come back to tarnish the reputation of documentaries? For example some reality tv shows use very similar formatting to documentaries and perhaps some would get the two confused occasionally. I don't know/think this is necessarily the case, just something I was thinking about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think subject matter plays a big part in it, and the bias that comes across

      Delete