Thursday, November 1, 2012

Lachlan Hornell - Then it isn't Donna




Then it isn't Donna

Bob Arctor doesn’t feel himself today. He didn’t feel himself yesterday either. Maybe cause he didn’t ball Donna after they gulped that fifth. Arctor needs to get the next thousand tabs of Death and he hasn’t seen Donna in two days. Or was it three. No. Two. Two thousand tabs. He needs to work his way up, find someone really worth taking down. That chick has some real groovy energy, Arctor thought; those summer brown eyes really give a beating…

Freck says our souls are putting on costumes when we sip our slow death. Souls are like ghostly apparitions, he says. Bob Arctor had seen a woman die and she didn’t breathe out any phantom spectre. Heads didn’t have souls. Donna might. All lost souls.

…to a guy like me. Bob Arctor remembers a conversation he had with Freck a day or two ago about souls. It doesn’t feel like a memory, it feels like someone is giving him a telling to. Like it’s all new information. Crosstalk? He’d told Freck he hoped souls were real cause maybe that meant someone is watching out for him.

Donna asks Arctor if he wants some more sticky, black hash.
            “Do you ever wonder who named it death?” Arctor can’t look at Donna. He is too far slushed, like an ice-drink deserted in the Nevada heat. Donna probably has relatives in Nevada; an overweight aunt and uncle who pop a D a day to lose weight. Well it used to be one a day. Nobody does one a day.
            “Some people do one a day, when they first start.” Donna replied.
            “When they first start?” He echoed.
            “Yeah, it doesn’t last long. No heads last long.” Donna looks down at the hash pipe. She can’t help but smile softly.
Did he say that out loud? I don’t like people talking for me, he thought. I don’t need a narrator to tell me I’m not doing a good job. But Donna is beautiful, funky, sweet. Can’t be blamed for needing a hug from her.
            “I don’t normally let people touch me, y’know? I do a lot of coke, not that brown, slick, slimy stuff, but the snow on the trees kinda stuff. The kind a real freak does after he shoots up with death. His eyes roll back and his sight glazes over, like a donut. You can’t see through a donut.”
Arctor laughs. His feet tingle as he puts them on the coffee table.
            “No, I’m serious, and don’t put your feet on my table, I ripped that from a truck and I don’t want them knowing it’s got scuff marks. The trees by the mountains have snow, I’m sure. I want to live there. In the snow.”
Arctor wants to kiss her. He thinks maybe he already has, but dreams and real life and nightmares aren’t much different. If I kiss her now maybe the dope will romance her away. And I can follow.
            “I want to kiss you, can I kiss you?”
            “I said I do a lot of coke, the snow and the trees y’know? I have to be careful; I’m not anyone’s dream girl. I really don’t pixie for anyone.”
Bob Arctor tries to smile, but his eyes don’t trust his mouth.
            “Yeah of course, of course. The trees, the mountains, the snow. The coke. The coke... Can I come? I like farms and animals and that kind of funk. We’ll bring our deaths and live until we die. We will make something of ourselves. Facere, to make.” Funny, I can’t remember how I know that.
He drinks some more tequila, almost dropping the bottle. I am slushed, that death was primo. Donna is primo with her kinky death.
            “You like flowers, right? The little blue ones?”
            “Yeah I’m a real romantic type, I bring the little blue flowers to all my chicks.” I don’t know what she’s talking about but I can’t help…

Arctor leans over and kisses her. Donna is open-mouthed and stoned, this is my dream. But it’s not a dream right? It’s not. That is Donna. Fred watches the screens and sees Arctor leave the room. Barris. Barris? Why is Barris in the room with Bob Arctor’s girl? Fred doesn’t believe it. Barris is the lying scum in Arctor’s house. Follows him around to slime all over his heart pieces. The slug dripping between the gaps of his toes. Bob Arctor doesn’t deserve this from his supposed friend. His cephalochromoscope too. Arctor is a good man. Fred watches Arctor return to the room. Jim Barris slinks away between Fred’s eyelashes, nowhere to be seen. Fred is confused, where is Barris? Where is Arctor? Where is Donna? Maybe I’m Donna.

… but play along.
Donna laughs in that dainty, depressing way.
I realise that now is the perfect time to kiss her. She is laughing; she thinks I’m a frolic, a jest, a sport, a whimsy. A real catch.
Arctor leans over and kisses her; full-blood, full-spirit. Donna is full-mouthed, stoned and furious.
            “I said you need to leave my body alone!” Donna is broken.
I reassess myself. This job really takes a toll on me. I hope the scanners see this clearly, because I can’t. Maybe they can spot my mistakes. Maybe they can spot me a dollar in a pinch. Barris said that the scanners are everywhere; the peace officers have eyes and ears from here to the horizon. Donna sees clearly but she can’t see me. I can’t see me.
Fred chuckles. A sad, lonely chuckle.
            “Y’know what? Fuck this and fuck you. I don’t need this. Bob Arctor is a good guy.” I say to her.
Donna looks confused, and like a damned straight, says, “I don’t need you either, you’re acting weird. A real headcase.”
I didn’t expect that, Donna is my girl. I walk out the door and slam ten deaths down Bob Arctor’s dry, swollen throat.

No comments:

Post a Comment